Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Moss Park Sprint Triathlon Report

I did it! I actually did it! I'm officially a triathlete again!
I completed an entire sprint triathlon in Orlando, FL this morning in 46 minutes! It was absolutely FREEZING when I woke up and when we arrived at the race site. It seemed like this was going to be a brutal experience: to swim in the lake for 5 minutes and then be all wet with cold lake water. Fortunately, by the time the race got underway, the sun was out and helped warm up the air for my 21.5mph bike average for all 9 miles of the race!
Everyone in the race started in one wave (I was going to write 'big' wave but that would have given you the wrong impression on the size of this race) so I enjoyed leading the swim and hammered out front on the bike.
Scratch that, change it...I didn't 'enjoy' being out front because I had NO idea where I was going...no lead vehicle and a poorly marked course causes lots of anxiety during a race!
But I made all the correct turns, rode all 9 miles, returned to the transition area in the lead, and headed out for a run on the dirt trails. My feet were a little numb from the cold but they cooperated and held me up while I was running until I got a bit of feeling in my toes. My support crew, aka Mom, was on the run course helping me figure out where to go and how far back the first guy was. I held my lead, worked on my run form, enjoyed the race feeling, and finished FIRST Overall in the race!
I'm BACK and LOVING it!!!
Now I've got 1 week to get prepared for St. Anthony's Triathlon. Starting with a easy, spin-out ride this afternoon to help my sore legs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home