Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

My Escape from the ROCK

I swam, biked, and ran my way away from Alcatraz! The Escape was a success!
Check out results from the race. I had a stellar performance from start to finish and I was the 3rd woman to cross the finish line!! I spent 29:12 swimming away from Alcatraz…4:20 running to my bike…55:06 biking around San Francisco…1 minute changing from bike gear into run shoes…and 53:52 running along the edge of the Bay. Total race time was 2 hour, 23 minutes, and 30 seconds!
After jumping off the boat and swimming to shore, I was the first woman out of the water behind 7 pro men. After spending a few extra seconds locating my shoes, I sprinted to the transition to get on my bike.
The whole bike ride was overcast and cool because the infamous San Francisco fog rolled in. It kept me cool and let me bike hard up and down all the hills. Becky Lavelle (eventual race winner) passed me at the halfway point of the bike. She was flyin’…she’s such a strong cyclist!
I headed onto the run in second place (no clue how far the next women were behind me) and felt g-r-e-a-t! My legs were strong and the fog was still keeping the sun from overheating me. At one point on the run, we do a 180 degree turn on the beach so I saw my competition and how far back they were. Laura Bennett was closing fast and passed me on the killer sand stairs/ladder. She had a great run and even had breath to say ‘good job’ as she went by (I was too busy sucking air into my lungs to reply).
After the ladder, it’s mostly downhill and then flat to the finish…I hauled butt the whole way…taking a moment to enjoy my friends cheering at the water stop as I went by. Thanks Christine and Keith and the rest of the tri club!
I had hoped for nothing more than a strong performance from myself on a very tough course…and I pulled out a great race among fantastic professional women. I took my time in the finish chute to enjoy the crowd. You can watch a 30 second video of my finish here…type 50 as my bib number then highlight my name when it appears in the box.
There are some really nice online articles from the race at Inside Triathlon and Triathlete Magazine.
As soon as the photos are posted online…I will share some of the good ones with you!
Oh yeah…and keep looking back here to find out when the race will be broadcast on TV!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home