Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Friday, July 21, 2006

"The Rock"

What I learned today: most Canadians refer to the providence of Newfoundland as “The Rock”. The area is quite forest-y (if that's a good way to describe it)...quite a few trees cover all the land (which is rock underneath) and the main thing in Corner Brook is the Paper Mill down on the waterfront. There are SO many trees/logs stacked around the paper mill...we actually ride right by the paper mill on each lap of the bike course. Surprisingly, it is not smelly like paper mills are in the USA.
Last night, Jarret (the son of the family I'm staying with) took me on a car tour of the area...I saw the ski resort, the harbor, the mountains, lots of trees (as mentioned before:), learned a lot about the area...and completely FORGOT my camera! Who is surprised? But I’ve got mental pictures that I will never forget…and I can’t ever forget them because this might be my one and only trip to Corner Brook…this is officially the last ITU World Cup at this location so I will have to find another reason to visit (it probably won’t be hard to come up with a reason, the town is small, the area is beautiful, the roads are great for biking, etc).
The Paper Mill was the official sponsor of today’s Swim Relay at the Glinnmill Inn Pond…we raced at 6pm. My team of Hunter Kemper, Joe Ump, and I had a very fun race and we finished 3rd overall behind another American team (Andy Potts, Sarah Haskins, and Timmy O’Donnell) and a Canadian team. I wish that EVERY World Cup would have a Swim Relay before the race…it would promote ‘fun’ competition:)
So I’ve just been informed that we are going exploring again this evening…so I’m going to grab my camera and try to get some photos of the sights!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home