Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

I've disappeared for the past couple of days..Hopefully this has not interrupted anyone's daily life:)! I've been hiding out in the beautiful little town of Rye, NY...in the guest bedroom at the Gormley home!
I finally arrived back in the good-ol'U-S-of-A on Monday afternoon...my flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Newark was only about an hour late. Only ONE hour is VERY impressive considering the date I was flying...9/11...and the location of my destination...the USA!
I must have gone through every - single - solitary type of security measure ever invented before boarding the plane in Germany. I went through 3 metal detectors, my bag was x-rayed three times, my laptop was examined twice, all liquids and gels were removed from my bag, I was patted down, wanded with a metal detector, and critically matched to my passport photo!
Finally, I got on the huge 747...and breathed a HUGE sigh of satisfaction when I realized that it was only going to be about 1/3 full for the flight. I immediately took claim to a middle row of 4 seats and settled in for a nice, long trans-Atlantic nap!
My nap was well deserved...it was the day after the Hamburg World Cup Triathlon! My race started at 2:30 in the afternoon on a beautiful sunny day in Germany. This was officially the LARGEST professional triathlon that I had ever competed in...79 women lined up on the starting line...and there were a reported 50,000 spectators lining the course in Hamburg!
The start was a mad house! I was number 42 and luckily chose a starting position very close to the left side (I might still be underwater if I was in the center of all 79 women!). By the time we rounded the first couple of buoys, I was in my traditional location: the lead:). The swim was fast...and probably a bit short...and I hoped on my bike with a small lead over 7 or 8 women.
They caught me during the first lap and I was fortunate to work with some of the most amazing women triathletes in the world right now...the names on the suits were: Fernandez, Tanner, Moffet, Blatchford, Bennett, etc! It was just mind-blowing to know that I was racing with these women!
It was also mind-blowing to know that I still had a 10K run to complete...and unfortunately, it was not as spectacular as I hoped. I dropped back about 25 places for my 33rd place finish...but the experience was unbeatable. That is the exact course for World Championships next year...very much my style...and now I am very familiar with every part.
Back to the present time - I'm in New York preparing for my 6th and final race of my 47 day "Europe/North East USA" trip. The Westchester Triathlon is on Sunday...start time of 7:25am. The city of Rye is fantastic, the race organizing committee is amazing, the Gormley family is unbelievable, I'm running out of descriptive words and I need to take an Economics Quiz online...LATER:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home