Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Monday, September 25, 2006

From Gator Country

I just finished a fantastic weekend in Florida with my family and Gator friends…it would be safe to assume that I’m back in COS since the weekend is over…but, surprise, I’m still in Gainesville, Florida!
My flight on Friday to Gainesville was uneventful. I arrived around 2:30pm and was met outside the terminal by my parents who had just drove up from home. My mom and I dropped my dad off at Dustin’s house so that he could fix Dustin’s scooter (Mr. Fix-it:)! Then we drove to the pool to watch the men and women’s swim team swim in the Orange and Blue meet (100 of each stroke and IM). Everyone looked fast and I’m excited to follow their results this season…Go Gators!
After the swim meet, we relaxed with Dustin, his roommates, and their parents at the house. Around 6:30pm it was time to drive to the Hilton for the 2005-2006 UF Swim Team Banquet…the 6th one that I have attended since 2000…to cheer for all the past and present Gators being recognized and receiving awards. The dinner was really good and Dustin’s team video was spectacular…he is keeping my yearly tradition alive!
While mom and dad drove home that night, I stayed at the guy’s house so that I could attend Saturday morning swim practice…what was I thinking?!?! Since I didn’t bring any dryland clothes, I walked around campus and stopped by Starbucks for breakfast while the team spent an hour in the weight room. At 8am, we all got in the pools…I made sure I was in the ‘slower’ group that was outside swimming long course. The set was 3x (5x300 @4:00, 16x50: 4@:50, 4@:35, 4@:45, 4@:35) and I was flying…could have been the week off I just took, or the ‘slower’ group I was in, or the fact that I only did 2x through the set:) But I had fun and found out that I can still make 4x50 @:35 long course a few times!!
After practice I attended and participated in the ALUMNI MEET! First I entered the 50 breaststroke to see if I could make 2 laps without drowning (I made it) and then the 50 free and a 25 backstroke to lead off a relay (still don’t know how to do backstroke starts:)! There were so many of my past teammates also in attendance, it was more fun to reunite and laugh over old memories than it was to actually swim! I made Dustin sit up in the stands and watch…we actually might have had more of a crowd than the inter-squad meet the day before (admittedly, these people were in attendance to get a good LAUGH:)!
The rest of Saturday I spent relaxing and letting Dustin get the homework and studying that he needed to complete. We scooted into town for lunch, a movie, and a bit of Gator paraphernalia…I’ll be sporting a new Gator ball cap in COS next week! The football game against Kentucky started LATE…kick off was at 7:45pm because it was live on ESPN…and the Men’s Swim & Dive team was recognized at halftime on the field. After Dustin got off the field we headed to his house to get the car and start driving home. We finished the game by listening on the radio…we WON 26-7!! I think we pulled in the driveway in DeLand around 11:30pm and went straight to bed.
Sunday morning started early, around 7am, with a drive over to Daytona Beach for the memorial service for my Grandmother (Granny/Cynthia/Joan). There was about 20 family and friends in attendance and about 10 people took part in the ocean swim…then we all shared happy memories of Granny on the beach during breakfast. My lifelong friend, Beth Grams (soon to be Mrs. Robert Margalis), was in attendance and I grilled her for wedding details…the BIG day is approaching on October 14th!
Back at home, I spent some time with my family before packing up and getting ready for the long drive back to Gainesville to catch my 5pm flight to COS. As soon as I walked in the terminal, I knew there was a problem because the Delta check-in line was backed up to the entrance. I learned that the flight was delayed out of G-ville because of weather in ATL (not bad enough weather to stop my COS connection from leaving ATL on-time!) and I could either change my flight to the next day…or spend the night in the Atlanta airport. Hummmm…let me think!? I called Dustin, he had just pulled into his driveway, to come pick me up for another night.
We went to dinner at his favorite restaurant, Hops…then I aimed for an early bed-time in preparation of the old routine: Monday morning practice at 6:00am!! Thanks to the Gator family for letting me squeeze in practice…fortunately I snuck in the ‘slower’ group doing long course for the main set of: 800, 30x50, 800, 20x50, 800 (I went a 9:25 on that one), and then I got out of the pool for the last few 50s. With all my heart I wanted to complete the whole practice…but I’ve got one more competition…next weekend is the Tiburon Mile open water swim and if I kill my poor arms now, how can I possible swim fast! Hopefully, I will be back in Gainesville this winter and I look forward to (maybe) seeing if I can still keep up with the ‘faster’ group!!
Now I’m waiting on Dustin to get home from his Monday classes. We’ll probably eat some lunch and then I need a ride back to the Gainesville airport…hopefully this time I’ll make it back to MY home in COS! Look out ski slopes…here I come!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home