Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Hamster is Running

I've got a lot of small ideas rolling around in my head. Individually, they are nothing of great importance...but all put together, they warrant a post.
I thought I would mention that my Christmas gifts have a "Green" theme. I was able to locate an online store that sells reusable bags...the kind you take shopping...so that we can reduce the number of plastic bags consumed by this country. Eco Bags has a TON of options and I chose an organic-cotton-string bag and the Green Bag to give to all my family and friends.
I will not be using ANY wrapping paper or ribbon this Christmas (or any in the future) because I see them both as a complete waste. Instead, the few gifts that I will be giving will be placed in the previously mentioned shopping bags or wrapped in some newspaper that is lying around the house.
Fortunately, I don't have too many gifts to worry about. This Christmas, the McLarty family is trading the consumption-tradition of trading gifts for a river-boat adventure on the St. Johns River. Last Sunday, my Dad and I stopped by the marina to take a tour of our boat...it is HUGE! There are 4 bedrooms (and a pull-out couch), 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen (minus the oven), a grill on the front deck, lounge chairs on the top deck, TV, and the Captain's Chair (fully equipped with steering-wheel and throttle:).
We will be arriving at the house boat in the middle of the day on Monday, Dec. 24th. We will shove off as soon as all six people, two kayaks, one canoe, four bikes, and three days worth of food are aboard and stowed. I'm planning on packing a large stack of books, DVDs, and board-games to entertain myself and my family when we are not enjoying the natural scenery outside the boat. **Yes, I am ALL for enjoying Nature, especially when given a great opportunity like this. BUT, even the most avid outdoor enthusiast can enjoy a game of Scrabble or the latest Blockbuster release for a short period of time!!**
I'm already ahead of myself...talking about what I'm going to be doing during Christmas...that I forgot to mention that I am back in DeLand. I packed up all my gear from Koren's place yesterday and headed out around 4pm. I drove straight to the Wednesday evening airport ride and had another great (grueling) experience between 6pm and 7:20pm. As soon as I was out of my sweaty clothes and in my car, I headed towards DeLand and arrived home just in time to eat dinner with my Dad while we watched Independence Day on TV.
Dustin is pounding out the last two days of Christmas Training up in Gainesville and he plans to be home around noon on Friday. I can't wait to see my little brother...I was supposed to go up and train with him for a few days, but that idea was squashed when I realized that Alec's practices at Clermont were hard enough for me:). I will be continuing my swim training with the DBS group in Port Orange for the holi-days...and visiting the beach with a surfboard because I hear the waves are perfect!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Sara!

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1709812612

1:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home