Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Re-Living My Swimming Days

Talk about a mental (and physical) relapse! I just got home from swim practice with the Fast Lane team here in Clermont. The National-level kids swim from 6-8pm so it's completely dark out...but that leaves all the light hours of the day for me to be out biking and running.
Here I am, swimming with a bunch of 13 and 14 year-olds that can kick my out-of-shape butt up and down the lanes of the pool! Tonight, we swam about 5000 yards of fast BACKSTROKE...yes, BACKstroke! I've got little muscles that haven't been used since my 400IM at the Olympic Trials in 2004 that are screaming for mercy. The final set of the night was 8 x 100 on 1:20...all-out-backstroke. After the first 4000 meters of practice, where we did 3 x 600 backstroke PULL, I was pleased to see that I could still bust out a few 1:03s.
This was all after I had a great bike ride this morning...solo...but I still motored my way around the hilly Clermont loop and threw in the Sugarloaf climb. I actually did Sugarloaf twice! Apparently, I had some kind of mental spasm and decided to turn around at the top for another punishing 3 minutes of climbing:).
In between my morning ride and late evening swim, I spent some time catching up on emails. I got the info, from my new friend Lea, about the Wednesday "Airport Ride". Starting at 6pm, 4 loops of a 9 mile course, reaching speeds up to 32mph...basically, I can't wait to go and get my out-of-shape butt kicked by 30-40 year-old men up and down the road in Orlando! Sound familiar?
Tomorrow, when I eventually wake up from a recovery-coma, I've got a long list of things to do. Race meetings, phone calls with my coaches, painful massages, aqua-jogging workouts, another killer swim practice, etc. If I find some hidden energy at the end of the day, you will see another post:)

2 Comments:

Blogger BreeWee said...

Your swim stories give me chicken skin! Oh my gosh that is amazing... when I grow up I want to swim that fast!

11:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi just curious. . . I would think after training in COS that lil ole Sugarloaf would seem like an ant hill.No?

2:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home