Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy Holidays!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody!
It is currently the last day of 2005...sunny and warm in Florida...I just came home from swim practice and now getting ready for a long bike ride followed by a short run.
The second half of December was a lot of fun. I spent more time with my family, biking with my dad and swimming with my mom. On Dec. 18th, my dad and I rode our bikes from the house in DeLand to the UF pool in Gainesville!! According to both our odometers, it was 102.3 miles...according to our bodies, it was raining and windy for 6 1/2 hours! I'm glad that my dad did the ride with me because I think I would have given up because I was so wet, numb and cold...but we motivated each other to get to Gainesville! We rode directly to the UF pool (because Dustin was at swim practice) and took scalding hot shower in the locker rooms, I was attempting to get some feeling back into my toes. When practice was over, Dustin drove us out-to-dinner at his favorite restaurant, Hops, and then we relaxed at his house and watched a movie.
The next morning, after Dustin and I headed to Gator swim practice, Dad got back on his bike and started riding another 102 miles home...he was getting tired and cold so Mom picked him up at mile 60 with some hot cocoa! As for me...I actually finished one Christmas Training practice, took a nap, ate lunch, and then went back for another in the afternoon! Both practices on Monday were over 9000y/m (I don't think I've swam that far in 6 months). Dustin and I saw Harry Potter 4 in the theaters that night...and prepared for the last practice on Tuesday morning.
Coach Troy told the distance group on Monday night what our Tuesday morning set was. We got to sleep in an extra hour but when we got in the pool, we swam straight for 1 1/2 hours: 500 warm up, 3000 with a band, 2000 swim, 1000 kick, 500 all out for time! I can still go under 5 minutes!! 4:57!!! I had a great time with the team for 3 practices...but I was also very glad to pack up my bag and leave! I've done my 4.5 years as a UF swimmer...from now on it's all voluntary and has to be fun!
I drove Dustin's car home (while he fell asleep in the other seat). That was my main reason to go to Gainesville: so Dustin wouldn't fall asleep behind the wheel! It was all 4 McLarty's at home again...long time since that last happened...and I think it will be even longer until it happens again! The Christmas Break was filled with fun times...we went 'last minute' shopping at the mall on the 23rd...played family games, watched movies...celebrated Christmas with our Aunt and Grandma on the 25th...went canoeing on the 26th down a really twisty river on a beautifully sunny Florida day...swam a few times after Christmas with the DBS team...and then it was time to pack Dustin's car up and say 'bye' because he had to be back in Gainesville for practice on the morning of the 29th. I miss you DUSTER BUSTER!!
Now I'm alone at home, have only child syndrome.
After practice on Friday morning, I went into Downtown DeLand to get a physical for the Volusia County Lifeguards...I have to be on record as an 'official' lifeguard to participate in the World Championships...I passed the urine screening for drugs, I could read the bottom line of the eye chart, my lung capacity was off the charts, I think I heard all the beeps in my ears, my blood was sent off for tests, I have to call back and report the size of the bump on my arm for TB testing...in the end, I think my results are passable:)
After the physical, I drove my Grandmother's car down to Cocoa Beach to spend the afternoon with my aunt and grandma. We talked, went shopping, I went for a jog in a new location, we ate dinner, watched a movie, talked some more and then went to sleep. In the morning, after a fast breakfast, I drove myself and my grandmother back home...with a 2 hour stop in Port Orange so that I could do swim practice. My swim practice was i bit fun because after 1 hour of swimming, I left the team lanes and went to practice the events for the lifeguard world champs.
I finally got to try swimming with the manikin, towing the rescue buoy, and timed a 200meter swim with obstacles. It's all a LOT harder than I thought ...meaning I've got to get some more practice time before we head to Australia!
That's about it for my last days in 2005...tonight (after I train for 4 more hours) we are going to paddle around Lake Winnemessette at night and look at all the light decorations people have on their docks!
Have a safe and happy New Year...see you all in 2006!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home