Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cookies & Movies Galore

It's a long standing tradition that the Chocolate Chip Cookie is the ultimate sweet treat at our house. I think I was raised with a daily dose of the CCC, no complaints here. But, as we have all gotten older, every McLarty member has become very set in their ways, especially when it comes to the 'done-ness' of a perfect CCC.
So tonight I undertook the challenge of baking a double batch of CCCs because there was not a single cookie in the house (a tragedy that we try to avoid at all costs). This really has become a 'challenge' and is no longer a fun baking event that brings back childhood memories. First, I've got to make sure that everyone is OK with the ingredients..."Can I use walnuts because we are out of pecans?"..."Does anyone mind if I use some whole wheat flour?"..."Is it OK if I substitute half the butter for Crisco?" And the list goes on and on.
Now, I've got a huge bowl of CCC dough. The next challenge is to guard the whole thing from dozens of flying spoons wielded by crazed dough-hungry McLartys who alternate between begging for a taste test and sneaking a scoop when your back is turned.
If I still have anything left in my bowl when the oven is finally ready (tonight I had to wait for the turkey to finish cooking...no one wants turkey-flavored-cookies) the real challenge begins. On one hand, we've got my Dad who has a borderline-obsession with under-cooked CCCs. I can quote him as saying that "A perfectly baked CCC has glanced at the oven door and then been scraped off the cookie sheet." And on the complete opposite hand, we've got my Mom who thoroughly enjoys a CCC that could come in handy if you have misplaced your hammer on a wood project. In the tradition of inheriting character traits, my Brother seems to be following in my Dad's floppy cookie cravings. (Have you ever held an under-cooked CCC? It just sorta flops.)
Last, but certainly not least, my personal CCC preference is a perfectly baked cookie that is crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, holds its shape, and easily submits to being bitten.
Not wanting to leave anyone cookie-less or deprived (or, more importantly, make someone upset), I've got to make sure that there are cookies cooling that will fit all the McLarty preferences. The timer is going off at random intervals...I've got cookies going in the oven when others are coming out...Are there enough raw cookies for Dad?...Are these baked enough for Mom? How many perfect cookies do I want for myself? It's exhausting! I didn't take a break from the kitchen for 90 minutes!
Which brings me to my second topic...movies. Since I spent all my post-dinner time in front of the oven, it appears that I will not be watching a movie tonight. That isn't too big of a deal because I have watched more movies in the past four days than in the past four months! I finally stopped at Blockbuster the other day (before my Bro came home to visit) and got a few that I've been meaning to watch. I Am Legend...4 stars (Will Smith is HOT); Charlie Wilson's War...4 stars (very relevant to today's world problems); 27 Dresses...3 stars (nothing more relaxing than a no-brain-chick-flick); Idiocracy...5 stars (if you haven't watched it yet...go rent!); 88 Minutes...2 stars (I was very unimpressed with this movie); August Rush...4 stars (absolutely adorable).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home