Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The End of the Weekend

In about 10 minutes (when my eyes close and I fall asleep) this long, busy, and fun weekend will officially be over. I am back home in DeLand after a long day of driving from Tuscaloosa with my Dad. We made it through the nine hours of driving with no problems...just a few gas and pee breaks.
A quick recap on yesterday's Race Day: I finished 8th overall at the Olympic Trials. It was a fantastic race and a big 'thank you' goes to all the USAT staff that worked their butts off to make it possible. The women's race started at 12:00 noon on-the-dot with a choppy, windy, wetsuit swim. I exited first with a small lead and then rode the eight-loop, hilly, and windy bike course with Sarah, Sarah, and Julie. We came into T2 with a 50 second lead over the five-woman chase pack and I finished the race in 8th! Julie Ertel won the race and is automatically on the 2008 Olympic Team...the third slot will go to Sarah Haskins or Sarah Groff based on their finishes at the Hy-Vee World Cup in June.
I could not be happier with my performance because I know that I have officially tackled a second sport: cycling. A year ago, I doubt that I would have been able to ride yesterday's race course without dying on the climbs. My run has suffered from a winter injury, but I know that I am in this sport for the long haul. I admire all three women that are going to be competing in Beijing this August...best of luck to Laura, Julie, and Sarah! Go USA!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Sara!! Umm, yeah, socks are your friend. ;-)

9:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home