Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

It's All Downhill From Here!!

I MADE IT!! I made it through all the hard stuff. All the long workouts. All the Bricks. All the exhaustion. All the pain and soreness.
That must mean that IT'S TAPER TIME!! Yea! With the Olympic Trials race just over one week away (9 days to be exact) I can foresee easy workouts in my future. I can also look at my schedule on TrainingPeaks and actually see the easy workouts in my future...but that is not the point.
The point is: right when I don't think I can make it one more day, right when I don't think I have energy for one more intense workout, right when my body is screaming for some recovery time...that time is NOW. I've got almost 20 hours before I have to exercise again, most of those hours will be spent horizontally, eyes closed, snoring?
I'm also employing a new recovery technique that I have decided to embrace (as of 3 days ago when I did some Internet research). Compression. Yep, simple as that. I've got my new compression tights on right now...they came in the mail this afternoon. Perfect timing after a day with a hard run and a hard ride. I put then on as soon as I showered but I have yet to determine if I am sleeping in them.
Compression is the new 'thing' among all types of athletes. Endurance, sprinters, team sports, strength, etc. Some items of clothing are designed to be worn during exercise to minimize fatigue, blah, blah, blah. Now, remember, I am currently training in FLORIDA...no matter what amazing results they promise, you are NOT going to find me in long pants or long sleeves for any exercise! But, I did like what the 'recovery' clothes were designed for: aiding and speeding muscle recovery by keeping body fluids moving, blah, blah...so I made some purchases: calf sleeves and full-length tights.
Boy, things ship quickly these days! The very next day (ordered on Tuesday, arrived on Wednesday) I got the calf sleeves and today I got the tights. I have to admit that I am already hooked and sold on this compression idea...so don't be surprised to see me lounging all next week in strange clothing!

3 Comments:

Blogger BreeWee said...

I hope you have an awesome taper and an even better race! And, just curious what brand you are using for your compression???

12:57 AM

 
Blogger Brian said...

Good luck, we got our cow bells ringing for ya.

-Brian and Emily

9:41 AM

 
Blogger Kolla said...

Very interesting! After having a DVT (blood clot) in my calf, I got to sport compression socks for a while, but never knew they were good for recovery. Let us know how they treat ya!

Best of luck for the race - you will do great!!

6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home