Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Matthews Elementary School

This morning I had a great time meeting my designated elementary school in Tuscaloosa. I got to talk to all the 5th graders (I think there were about 75) and show them a video about USA Triathlon. Not a single student knew what a triathlon was before I walked in...but I'm pretty sure that they all knew what it was then I walked out!
After the school, I spent a bit of 'down-time' at the hotel while my Dad got my bike all 'race ready'. With race wheels on and frame-pump off, I was ready to test out the course one last time. We cycled down to the race site where I ran a lap of the run and then rode two laps of the bike. Everything was working great and I felt fit and fast. I have to admit...I was feeling a TON of nerves...why, I'm not too sure because it was a whole DAY before the race.
The race site is looking more and more ready. There are banners, barricades, bike racks, and tents all over the River Walk Park. I saw all my competitors doing their last minute preparations, along with hundreds of collegiate athletes getting ready for their race.
I hope that all the collegiate athletes stick around the race course after morning event...they start at 7am so they should still be parting at the finish line when our Trials race gets underway! I expect that a combination of the collegiate athletes, the local school kids, the age-group triathletes competing on Sunday, and the local Tuscaloosa community will result in a HUGE number of people on the race course.
There are some dark storm clouds that have filled the skies over Tuscaloosa this afternoon. My Dad and I have been checking the weather online to see what they are forecasting for tomorrow: temps between 70 and 72, clear by mid-day, and light winds. Sounds Perfect!
Don't forget to check out the LIVE race updates on www.Slowtwitch.com tomorrow. My race starts at 12 noon in this time-zone. That is 1pm on the east coast and 10am on the west coast. Log on and enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home