Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

6-Hour Training Day

WOW! I LOVE THIS!!
I can't believe how much I actually missed training! It is so amazing to be back to the ol'grind of exercising til exhaustion. I don't think I have stopped smiling yet:).
Lets see, I started this morning by waking up at 7:00am. Had a small breakfast before heading out the door for a 50 minute jog. I decided to veer off the trail and run down Lakeshore drive instead. It was a pleasant morning and I enjoyed watching the sun rise over Lake Minneola.
On my way back to my house, I passed a friend running in the other direction. I spun a 180 and jogged with her for a few minutes before finishing up my 50 minute run in 60!
I made myself a proper breakfast, checked emails, and then got ready to go ride. I managed to get myself out of the house a little after 10:00am and headed out for some 'easy' Ferndale loops. (Easy is a relative term here...the Ferndale loop includes the Wall, Buckhills, Stairstepper and plenty more decent climbs.) I wore my fancy heart-rate-monitor-watch and it actually measures how much elevation you gain and loose. Over the course of 3 hours, I climbed and descended a little over 2000 feet. That is pretty decent considering my high point was 149 feet...no mountains here, just lots of up/down/up/down/up/down.
Happily, I pulled back into the driveway a bit after 1:00 in the afternoon. The sun was blazing today and I was very happy that I remembered sunscreen before leaving. (I'm only making note of this for my friends in the north that might be facing snow, sleet, and other wonderful treats that come with real winters:)
Lunch was next on the list, followed by a well deserved nap. I actually went to bed last night at 1:00am after spending a couple hours working on the website for my March triathlon camp. I wanted to make sure that I was fresh and ready to rock for the final session of the day...swim practice! Hey, someone's got to show those little 13 year-olds who is boss!
Fortunately, there is a HUGE difference between training at altitude and training at sea-level (other than the HUGE difference in elevation). My ability to recover after working out is phenomenal. After being in COS for the past 4 years, I just thought triathlon training was harder than what I was used to...nope, just living 1-mile-high was the hard part. I should have realized that after swimming at UF...NOTHING is harder than that!
Anyways, back to my 6-hour training day. 1 hour run, 3 hour bike, and I finished with a little over 2 hours in the pool...just enough time to get 9000 yards completed! No kidding, in 2 hours and 15 minutes I swam 9K! About 3K of butterfly (that sucked), followed by 3K of backstroke (not too bad) and finally 3K of freestyle (by that point, it was all I could do)!
And, the night wasn't over because I haven't been grocery shopping all weekend (blame the tri camp and eating out for 4 nights in a row) so I needed to go grab veggies and basic fridge-fillers. It was a long day but I'm trying to end it a bit earlier than 1am like last night:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home