Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Mexico this Weekend

I can't believe that it is already time for me to start packing for my trip to Chiapas, Mexico for the 15 kilometer open water swim! I leave on Thursday the 31st...and the trip is going to be the most exciting part of the whole race experience! Let me start from the beginning...
in February, I started making plans for what races I wanted to compete in...I designed a race calendar, with help from my coaches, and started entering the races. I also started buying plane tickets to the races (since it's best to buy them WAY ahead of time). I wanted to race in Mexico because it was one of three races on the Open Water World Cup schedule that looked short enough for me to do. The others were in London and Hong Kong (both only 10K). Then I talk to the Speedo Rep and decide to rearrange my whole race calendar based on where the most money will be...canceling out the Open Water World Cups (except for the race in Mexico which I have already entered and purchased a $600+ plane ticket).
Now the plane ticket is a whole other story: I'm looking online at Expedia and I've got a $300 ticket out of San Diego to Chiapas, Mexico all set up...then I wait ONE day too long and the stupid thing doubles in price!!! So I look at other options and decide I will save a FEW $$ and buy my ticket from Tijuanna to Chiapas...I'm thinking to myself: Tijuanna is right next to us in Chula Vista, how hard can it be to get there?
So now it is time to actually make the trip and the best idea I have to get to Tijuanna International is have a friend here at the OTC drive me up to the border...I'll get out and walk across with my bags (or just BAG, singular, because I don't want to be carrying too much stuff)...then I'll find a taxi who hopefully speaks English and gets my point that I want to go to the airport...and then get in and hope that he actually takes me to the airport...then if and when I arrive at the TIJ airport I will hope that I'm not extremely overcharged!
If all that goes as I have it planned in my head...the only thing left to do is navigate the TIJ airport to my flight...get on...fly to Mexico City...and FIND MY DAD WHO BOUGHT A PLANE TICKET FROM DAYTONA BEACH YESTERDAY TO COME TO THE RACE AND BE MY BOAT COACH/FEEDER DURING THE RACE!!!!!!! I'm so excited that a member of my family is going to be at the race to cheer and support and help and feed me:)
Yes...I do me 'feed me'. In all races over 10K, each swimmer gets a support boat with 3 people in it: one Fina official to make sure all the rules are followed, one boat driver for obvious reasons, and one 'coach' who writes things on a white board (like 'good job' or 'go faster') and holds out water/gatorade/food for the swimmer to intake! Up until I get the news that my Dad is going to be at the race with me...I was going to have a volunteer that I have never met before as my boat feeder (scary) so now I am much more confident about the whole race!
So that is my story...I'm sticking too it...and I will fill everyone in on the race results when I am back safe and sound in the good ol'USA!
P.S. check out some websites with photos of where I am going to be swimming in the race (It's going to be hard to concentrate on the race with all the beautiful sites I am swimming past:)
http://www.sumidero.com/eng/index.html
http://wild-net.com.au/mexico/html/sumidero_canyon.phtml
http://www.geo-images.com/huatulco/sumab/sumab.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home