Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Monday, January 16, 2006

News from the Springs

I’ve officially been back at the OTC for 1 week! I can’t believe how fast time flies here!
Let’s see…I’ve been in the pool training with the equipment for the Lifesaving World Championships: Rescue 2006. The bike rides have been beautiful, a bit hilly, and quite cool. Running has had it’s ups and downs…some workouts are great and then sometimes my lungs don’t want to transport oxygen.
We already had our first Wednesday Texas Hold’em tourney of the new year…and your looking at the blog of the champ…yep, it came down to the girls for the win: Jaz and I were the last two standing!
My Speedo contacts were in town for the weekend and they called up all their athletes and took us to a delish dinner at The Warehouse in downtown COS. I had some yummy chicken wrapped in bacon and we all had a good talk about many different things.
On Friday I had an appointment with a MBA advisor at UCCS…we talked about the classes that I need to take, what order to take them in, and how I get to choose my ‘area of emphasis’ (which is going to be ‘entrepreneurship’). But for right now, I’m focusing on taking the Preparatory classes…I managed to get ONE of them exempted because I took an English class and a Speech class at UF. At the meeting, I actually enrolled in my class for the Spring semester: Fundamentals of Business Statistics! I know…it sounds SOOOO exciting! And I get to take the WHOLE class on-line…which is great because of all the traveling that I’m heading off to do…90% of February I’m going to be ‘Down Under’ and then all of March and April I’ll be training in south California at the Chula Vista OTC. Speaking of the class on-line…it started today, Sunday! I’ve got the book for class…lets not talk about the $111+ dollars that I spent on a bunch of words on paper bound together and titled…and I’ve been on the class website to check out the assignments and stuff.
It’s very interesting to me…on ‘online’ class to me means watching a video of a professor talking in front of a normal class…that’s what we had at UF. But this is nothing like that…we actually have to read the book, read the notes that the professor writes up in a Word document, look through the PowerPoint slides, and the assignments are done in a group. Well, a ‘group’ can consist of people from all over the country who are also enrolled in the Distance MBA program…which means a lot of communication via computer!
And my NEW laptop is supposed to get delivered tomorrow…Dude, I’m getting a Dell! haha! Traveling and trying to take this class would be impossible with out a laptop…so I got myself a simple laptop…it’s very interesting to compare this laptop purchase to the one I made 6 years ago. Smart me, I decided to get a laptop to go to college with… it cost over $3000 and took a few weeks to get delivered. 5 days ago I ordered one for $600 and it’ll be here tomorrow:)!
Other than going back to college…which I promised myself I was NEVER going to do…but that promise only lasted 1 year…last night we had a fun night. I went out to dinner at The Loop, a Mexican restaurant, with bunch of friends from the OTC…after we pigged out on chips and stuff, we went across the street to a coffee shop that had live music. Today, I enjoyed a nice sleep in until 9am, when I started 4 LOADS of laundry and met Jaz and Jess in the caf. for brunch. We managed to spend about 3 hours in the middle of the day ‘shopping’ and not really actually purchasing anything…which is the ‘smart’ kind of shopping:). Around 3pm today, I finally headed out the door for my one big workout of the day, a 1 hour 15 minute run…and I was really pleased with how it went and how I felt.
So that’s news for now…keep in touch everyone:)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home