Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dustin Update 2

The alarm on my cell phone was set to ring at 6:45 this morning. Apparently, I didn't need to set it last night because I was woken up by a phone call from my brother in Japan at 6:27am!!
It was night time for him and he had just returned from swimming in Finals! I got a real quick summary of his day of swimming...our conversation was kept short because lots of other athletes were waiting to use the phone.
In the prelim heats, he swam best times in both his events...2:02 in the 200 Butterfly and 3:58 in the 400 Freestyle! Awesome! He was way outside of the top 16 in both events and was not expecting to swim in finals...but apparently there is a rule at this meet that only TWO athletes from each country can swim in each of the two heats at Finals. Sooooo...because Duster was the ONLY American male in the event, and there were lots of Australian, Japanese, and Polish swimmers ranked above him...the 16th slot was passed down to him and he got to swim again in the 'B' heat at night!
And he didn't disappoint...ANOTHER BEST TIME! 3:57 in the 400 meter Freestyle! That means he is almost lapping me now in a 400! I also discovered that Dustin has one of the FASTEST reaction times of all the men in his events. While it's a silly number that shows up on the results page now that swim meets have timing pads on the starting blocks (to catch false starts)...in the three events he did yesterday, he was the fastest 'reactor' in two and second fastest in the third! Maybe this means he should have been a SPRINTER?!? Hummmmm!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home