Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Monday, August 20, 2007

A "Dustin" Update

I got an email from my lil'bro who is over in CHIBA, JAPAN for a big international swim meet!
---------------------
Hi,
I made it fine. The flight was long but i brought two subs and my bag actually made it. The food is all buffet style in the very nice hotel we are at. The food is very good with plenty of choices. I have swum in the competition pool, it is very nice. A little shallow, but still feels fast, and the air is much better than nationals. We explored a mall near the hotel today and everything was basically American. Same stores with the same stuff inside. The town is very quiet, big buildings, but no one around like in Des Moines. Well I feel good, still trying to adjust to the time but everyone on the team is nice and it is good to have rex and clark here.
well I will try and write again tomorrow.
bye,
dustin
---------------------
Well, it's "tomorrow" and I haven't heard from him again. I'm sure he doesn't have a ton of time (or desire) to sit down at a computer and write to his family! But I did find a blog posted from one of the USA Swimming Staff members over in Japan with the team. Only from his post did I find out that the team was in TWO EARTHQUAKES on their 2nd and 3rd day of the trip! Only 4.5 and 4.3 on the scale...but still, I think that is Dustin's first time in an earthquake...and we don't hear ANYTHING from him!
Let us go back a few years...I could probably find it right here in my blog...to my first time at the OTC in Chula Vista in 2005. I was woken up in the middle of the night by a small earthquake...my first and only experience...and I IMMEDIATELY CALLED HOME! That was something that just HAD to be shared with the family (especially my dad who grew up in Cali and didn't care one bit for my exciting piece of news)!
Back to the "Dustin Update"...here is a link to the event info, team roster, and results for the Japan 2007 Swim Meet. Today he was entered in the 200 Fly, 400 Free...but that is all I can tell because all of the 'Results' pages won't open on my computer because they require Japanese formats (I'm not going searching for my Adobe installation CD!). I hope that USA Swimming will post an English version of the Day 1 results soon...or maybe an email will arrive from Dustin himself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home