Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Weather Issues

I know that a lot of places are experiencing weather related problems...the mid-west is dry, the north is dry, the west coast is dry, Africa is dry...but I have got to tell you: Florida is DRY! We are desperately in need of some serious RAIN! It's been months since we have had a decent rain that actually helps replenish the water table.
Ol'McLarty's Farm has a huge water-table gauge in the back yard: a pond. The pond was dug out 30 years ago when my parents purchased this property. Almost every day of my life I have seen the pond. It scares me that I have NEVER seen the pond this low! There are parts of the bank that should be under two to three feet of water...now they are chillin' out in the hot sun every day instead of being homes for little fishes! Don't get me started on the little fishes...I can only imagine how crowded the remaining water is with fish.
So, that is the current issue here, just a slight need for lots and lots and lots of water. Can you ever imagine Floridians getting excited for hurricane season? Well, that is us now. Hoping that a couple of BIG storms will head this way, stay off the coast, and just toss a lot of heavy rain over the state.
In the mean time, I am taking advantage of the hot, Hot, HOT weather for my training and acclimatizing for some important races this summer (Hy-Vee in Des Moines, LifeTime in Minneapolis). I did a track workout from noon to 1:00pm today with temperatures in the high 90s. So the heat is no longer a big fear for Sara McLarty! Wow!
Perfect timing! Yesterday, I looked at the Vancouver weather reports for this weekend and said "Oops!" The average high temperature for the weekend is like 55 degrees. Rain showers are predicted every day. The water we are swimming in (English Bay) is also 55 degrees. I am very curious to see how an athlete that LOVES cold races but is now acclimatized to heat and humidity fares in the chilly World Championships...stay tuned for the results of this scientific experiment!
And now for an update of another very important experiment: How long does it take me to buy a house?? Apparently, a lot longer than I was expecting because I have still heard nothing back regarding my offer on my big, beautiful house in Clermont. I emailed my real estate people today and told them that I considered today "Time's Up!" and I would like to get going on another house that I liked. This one is a bit smaller but also a bit cheaper and has a lot of potential. So, you should also stay tuned for the results of this learning experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home