Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Wildlife Habitat

The baby turkeys are out and about! It's the time of year where Ol'McLarty's Farm (AKA: newly Certified Wildlife Habitat number 100,272, courtesy of the National Wildlife Federation!) is teeming with wildlife.


All winter long, one of the tall dead trees in our back yard was the night-time roost for about eight Tom Turkeys. And every once in a while, the flock of females would wander through the yard on their forages for food. Well, they do their thing during mating season and then we patiently wait for the first day when the Hens lead out their latest broods.
I counted 17 chicks between three mothers today (although one of those might have been a squirrel that was getting in on the action). They were taking care of the bug population in our pastures and citrus groves (with deer-fly season upon us, I've got NO complaints there!).
Good ol'Buddy coming over to check on the turkey situation (admittedly, the turkeys didn't really like him galloping over at full speed and proceeded to scatter into the bushes)!


These photos are the best I could do with my camera...I've got limited zoom capabilities. Combine that with the fact that you have to watch the turkeys from afar...and you get slightly blurry pictures of slightly fuzzy chicks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home