Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Back in the Sunshine State

The past week has been one of the busiest I've had in a while! It all started last Tuesday with the GMAT test. I went to the testing location at about 8:30am...went over all the testing rules...and by 9am I was at a computer typing away on my essay questions. It was actually really hard and the time flew by. At the end of the 4 hours of testing, the computer gives you an unofficial score (it can't include the essay grades)...my score was not fantastic but I'm pretty sure it will get me accepted into the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. On the school website it says that the average scores accepted into the school are between 540-560...my unofficial score was 570. As long as the essay scores can not LOWER that score, I should be okay. (My essay writing skills are miserable!)
Tuesday night I was treated to a 'goodbye' bonfire party in the woods with all my good friends from the OTC. We toasted marshmallows and made some s'mores...until the cops showed up and told us that the bonfire was illegal! Good thing they were nice cops and let us off with a warning!!
The next morning I got a short swim practice in...followed by a rush of packing (because I kinda procrastinated all my packing until 3 hours before my flight!). The OTC shuttle to the airport was going to leave at 10:30...my flight was at 1:30 and the drive is about 15 minutes...I can't thank Jasmine enough for volunteering to drive me to the airport at a more reasonable time so that I could finish packing in a more relaxed fashion. It was sad to leave the OTC and all my friends, but I believe in the saying: 'distance makes the heart grow fonder'.
I got into the Daytona Beach airport around 8:30pm. My dad picked me up in the big truck...good thing because I had a LOT of bags to throw in the back (bike box, checked bag, carry-on rolling bag, backpack, purse, etc).
Thursday morning I started with some training...it was H-O-T! I underestimated how much more water I need when training in the heat and humidity of Florida...I sweat more and it's hotter so I emptied my water bottles a bit faster than I normally do. Friday morning we drove to the DBCC pool (the Port Orange pool has been drained and is being refinished) to swim with the masters group and Coach Steve. I still haven't swam with the age-group team because they have high school state meets this weekend and are all tapered.
On Saturday morning, for some reason I agreed to go on a bike ride with Dad...bad decision. 3 1/2 hours and 67 miles later I coasted back into the drive way and almost couldn't move for an hour. (Again, not nearly enough water in two waterbottles to make it on a 3 1/2 mile ride!) but, I had to keep on moving...really moving because after a shower and some lunch, I was on my way to Clermont for the Ironkids orientation meeting. Of course I almost fell asleep a bunch of times, but I made it there and started helping out with the kids.
unfortunately, the turn-out of kids in Clermont was not very big, but the race was still put on with gusto. On Sunday morning I was at the race site at 5:30am...setting up the last minute details and at 8am, the first wave of kids went off in the pool. I had fun doing whatever it was I was supposed to do...cheering, holding the finishing banner, handing out awards, signing autographs...I can't wait to be in Tempe, AZ at the nationals in December!
I was out of Clermont and on my way home around noon...had enough time at home to get in a bike and run...needed to do some exercise because I wouldn't be getting any for the next two days. On Monday morning, I was up at 4:30am to drive to the Orlando airport. My flight from Orlando to NYC departed at 6:20am...connection in Chicago and arrival in NYC at noon. Dustin was at the baggage claim waiting for me...he had flown from Gainesville to NYC. We grabbed a taxi to the hotel and checked in at the Marriot East Side (very nice hotel)...good thing it was on the Golden Goggle bill! We had about 4 hours to spare before we needed to shower and change for the awards show...so we headed out to explore the city. It was Dustin's first time in NYC and he loved all the sights: Trump Tower, Central Park, the cathedrals, etc. Around 4pm we made our way back to the hotel, got ourselves all dressed up and at 5:30pm the limos were down stairs to drive all the athlete's and their guests to the ballroom for the Golden Goggle Awards show. The dinner was delicious...the show was great...the winners were happy...everyone looked beautiful. We headed back to the hotel for some sleep so that we could start our second day really early.
On Tuesday morning we checked out of the hotel but had flights at 5pm. From 8am until 2pm, Dustin and I walked all over NYC, took the Subway some places, went to the top of the Rockefeller Building for the birds-eye-view, ate at fun cafes, explored the NY Public Library, etc. We made it to the airport with time to spare, especially since there were storms and a lot of the flights were delayed...I finally got back to Orlando and safely drove home around 11pm.
Our good family friend, Sally Gist, was staying with us for 2 nights. On Wednesday morning, mom, Sally and I got up early for yoga at the Drop Zone...but the teacher didn't show up...so mom and I went to swim practice instead. After 2000yards of swimming I did a 50y and a 200y time trial for the lifeguard world championship team. I was surprised with my times (but I have to remember that Coach Steve's watch is about 1-2 seconds fast) but I went a 24.5 and a 1:51, both from the blocks. I guess I've been on a 10 month taper:)
Now I'm back into a normal routine...I travel again in a few weeks back to Colorado for my presentation at the Coaching Clinc...more on that later. I'm off for a bike ride...easy at mom's pace:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home