Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Very Productive Day

I spent about 3 hours in front of the TV this afternoon. Barely moving a muscle, just flipping through 40 channels because my attention span is very short. I've got a list on my desk of things I need to get accomplished...but for those couple of hours, I couldn't care less!
Of course I'm going to give you a reason...are you ready for it?...From 10am to 1:20pm today, I was doing one of the hardest training sessions of my life!!!
At 8am I woke up to the sun streaming through the cracks of my blinds...although it ended my slumber, the bright light did mean that it wasn't disgusting and raining outside. And if it wasn't disgusting and raining outside, that meant that my three hour bike ride was not going to be on a computrainer in the basement! Instead, it meant that I was going to ride down to the coffee shop and join the Sunday morning 10am group ride that climbs about 10 steep and painful climbs during it's 3 hour trek of COS and the surrounding area.
I got dressed in what I thought was going to be enough warm cycling clothes for the cool weather that has blown through the area...but 2 seconds on the road and I knew that the uphills were going to be perfect but every time I had to fly down-hill at speeds around 40 miles and hour, I was going to be quite chilly (especially when you add the sweat-factor...the more you sweat on the up-hill, the colder you become on the down-hill).
So my Litespeed and I joined some other triathlon teammates and about 40 other local cyclists and headed over to the Air Force Academy. This was my first time on the Sunday group ride (been on the Saturday one plenty of times) so I had to ask a few people what the route was. Once we got on the campus, the speed took off and the big group splintered into small packs for about 5 miles but then it re-grouped. Then we headed off up a big climb and the group splintered again...but then regrouped at the top. I was beginning to like this ride...I know that I can't keep up with the likes of Matty Reed...but he'll be waiting up the road a bit and then I can try to hang on to his wheel again for as long as possible:)!
So we finished the loop in the Academy and then headed over to Woodmen road for another long, long, long climb. Crested that one (regrouped) and headed down towards Garden of the Gods. At this point, the temperature was really dropping and the storm clouds were rolling over the mountains. Jasmine and I opted to pass by GOG and start heading back to the OTC...hoping to beat the rain. But, as we rode down Colorado Street into a massive head wind, somehow the rain managed to catch us!! It wasn't too bad, we got a bit misted before coasting through the welcoming gates of the OTC and hopping into a toe-thawing hot shower followed by a tummy-filling lunch followed by 3 hours of channel-surfing.
That was my Sunday, May 6, 2007 in a nut-shell:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home