Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

When Do We Taper?!?

Ohhhhhhhhhh...I'm hurting! No rest for the weary though...it's still a tough week of training here in COS for everyone. We rocked a O2 session on the bike yesterday morning (hooked up to extra oxygen, simulating sea-level, working extra hard) and I was very happy with the wattage that I was able to hold on my efforts. After the bike we had a 'strength' oriented swim practice (meaning most of the swim involves some sort of pulling equipment).
At the end of the day I ventured outside into the ridiculous heat for my aerobic run...made it about 100 meters and then turned left into the gym to run on a treadmill. I think it was a smart decision because I perspired quite a bit inside even with the A/C and I also stayed out of the sun's brutal rays. Right after my run, I rinsed off in the Recovery Center and had a flushing and relaxing massage on my sore legs.
After a discussion with my massage therapist, we came to the conclusion that my calves and lower legs are going to take a few days to recover from all the standing and walking that I did in Atlanta during the IronKids race. I'm not used to being on my feet for so many hours in a day and my calves are revolting...with some rest, lots of liquids, and recovery massages, they should be back to normal before I head to Europe next week.
This morning we started off in the pool at 7:30am with a speed-oriented practice. I had some sub-30 second 50 freestyles off the blocks. That left me with a good feeling for the start-sprint at the big races. I like to break free and get far ahead of the pack ASAP! (My one bad race start in Hungary last year resulted in some unnecessary physical contact with other competitors in the water...and I don't EVER want to be in that position again!)
After swimming and a quick stop for breakfast, about 15 people met up for a group ride through the Broadmore area. Some light climbs, fast descents, big-house googling, and chatting for 90 minutes and then we were back at the OTC.
As for the remainder of today, I've got a long list of 'Things To Do' that I need to tackle. A lot of these things need to be completed before I leave on Monday...like ship my time-trial-style aero-bars to New York so that I don't have to carry them with me all the way around the world...restock my traveling-toiletries bag with lots of toothpaste, shampoo, etc. And as I write all that about what I have big plans to do, my post-lunch-food-coma is starting to kick and I am tending to lean towards taking a nap as my next big adventure.

DUSTIN UPDATE #3!!!!
By the way...Dustin swam the 400m IM yesterday in Japan. He had a great swim in the morning but just missed the 'A' Finals. He came back at night to swim in Lane 4 of the 'B' Final and retained his top seed by winning the heat. He was behind one guy going into the final 100 freestyle but he chased him down and got his hand on the wall first! 9th place and a time of 4:22!
For the third day of the meet, I found his name listed for the 200 freestyle and the 200 backstroke. Neither are his strongest events but if he keeps his focus and digs deep like he has been, we might be seeing some more swims in Finals! Good Luck Dustin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home