Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Why I LOVE October...

Yesterday, I was sweating in a short-sleeved jersey with light-weight arm-warmers and shorts for my two-hour bike ride.
Today, I wake up to HUGE flakes of snow falling from the sky and covering everything in sight.
Nothing can beat the mish-mash of weather in Colorado in October...but it always snows once before Halloween! Unfortunately, this put a slight damper on my plans to ride 3+ hours today with the Sunday Group Ride...so, I will be in the basement for a few hours today, riding nowhere and listening to loud music.
A quick recap of exciting things that have occurred in the past couple days...
My brother swam in his first dual-meet of his Senior year. It was a three session meet: Friday night, Saturday morning, and Saturday afternoon. Dustin ROCKED in all his events (only his 200Free was hurting since it was 5 minutes after an amazing 400IM)!! I didn't get to see any swimming but I got updates from him, the family, and the GatorZone website which stated: "Dustin McLarty (DeLand, Fla.) continued to have a strong season as he came to the wall second in the 400 IM with a time of 4:29.22." That's my lil'brother!
Other news in the swimming world (that I care about): the 10K USA World Championship/Olympic Trials Qualifying races were this weekend in Ft. Myers, FL. The women swam on Saturday and I was thrilled to get emails from my friends in the OW swimming world saying that Micha Burden WON the race! She's a really good friend of mine...we met in Feb. of '06 at the Lifesaving World Champs in Australia...she's only been training for this 10K event since then!! My other good friend, Erica Rose, finished strong but failed to qualify in the 10K (that's okay because she's going to ROCK the 25K in Spain next year)!
The men swim today (probably right now) and I'm sure I'll hear results before the day is over. I'm cheering for my Gator teammate Scott K. and good friend Chip P...hopefully the two of them can pull out a 1-2 finish and head to Spain next year for a chance to go to Beijing!
Back to my world...I'm still in Das-Walking-Boot and staying away from anything that resembles running. I'm not sure how the foot is feeling, since I'm not giving it an opportunity to hurt, but I will test it out on Wednesday after a week of drugs and pure rest.
One of the perks of being a resident-athlete here at the OTC are the opportunities to do/see/visit things for free thanks to free tickets donated to the OTC. I've been to some music concerts at the World Arena, free of charge...and on Wednesday, I'll be heading back to the World Arena for a fancy dinner in honor of the 2007 inductees into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame. The only person I've heard mentioned so far is Amy Van Dyken, former Olympic swimming sprinter, and it'll be cool to clap for her (and whom ever else in honored).
Then, this weekend, I'll be heading down to Austin, TX for the IronKids event. I can't wait to see the kids racing and visit with all my IK staff friends. That will take up my weekend from Friday afternoon until Sunday night. Look for photos after these events...I haven't had my camera out in a while and it shows...nothing but words covering my blog:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home