Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

6 Months!

That's what I keep saying to myself as I fill up bag after bag with STUFF in my room. I'm talking about packing for the estimated 6 MONTHS that I'm going to be living and training away from the OTC...so I've got to be prepared for anything and everything.
I've decided to tackle the packing with a "one-bag-per-activity" approach. So far I have a bag with all things relating to swimming...another bag for all my cycling gear...and a third with run clothes and shoes. This is in addition to my bike box that is completely full (with no bikes inside)...a entire CompuTrainer system...two bikes on the rear bike rack...etc!
The stupid part is that I have been teaching myself to be a more 'compact' packer. After all these long training/racing trips that I have taken all over the world, I have a general idea of what I need and how many of everything I need. But the compact part is usually only a factor because I'm traveling by airplane and they limit the number, size, and weight of the bags that I travel with. This time, I'm loading up my car and I can't seem to make any decisions...except to just pack everything!
You have to understand that this is my "home." Basically everything that I own is in this apartment room in the COS OTC (except for a few decorative items that remain at my parent's house in DeLand). Just take a quick look around where you live...now imagine deciding what you will need and what you will use for 6 MONTHS. It can be a little bit intimidating! Especially when I remember that I am a TRI-sport athlete and I need all parts of every activity.
Swimming isn't' just a suit and goggles...I had to go grab my equipment bag from the bin at the pool (fins, paddles, etc). And thanks to Speedo, it's not just ONE suit...I have a different suit for every day of the week (with matching sandals:).
It's easy to imagine the cycling is going to take the most space, it always does! I'm taking both my TT and Road bikes home (good thing I have a bike rack) along with a small collection of Rudy Project helmets and glasses. Cycling clothes, shoes, water bottles, energy bars, Gatorade powder, etc...it never ends!
Right now running is pretty easy...most of what I wear to aqua-jog is already packed in the swim bag. But I gosh-darn plan on getting my foot better soon so that I can RUN! So in that bag I've got warm and cold weather jogging clothes, a few pairs of new sneakers, hats, etc.
That's all I've got finished so far. Tomorrow I plan on tackling 'everyday' items...like basic clothes and toiletries. Right now I'm catching up on some emails and getting ready to go see the Doctor.
On Monday I drove over to a medical building and had an MRI on my bum foot. I was in and out really quickly...with a quick stop for the actual procedure, painless but I fell sound asleep on the table (I hope I didn't move my foot!). Tonight I should get some results from the MRI and listen to what the Doctor suggests for getting healthy!
After the depressing appointment...I have a HAPPY appointment over at Cliff and Sam's place! They are throwing a post-season, pre-holiday dinner party! Pizza, beer, and Gingerbread cookies...the party motto is: if you want healthy, you've got to bring it yourself:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have a safe drive over Sara, I'm sure your ma & pa are very happy to have you close by for a few months.
Pam and I are trying to twist your moms arm into becoming our running coach this winter - we are both sick and tired of being sucky runners, and who better than your mom to scare us into shape :)
See you soon!!

6:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 months. Really? Can you enlightened us in a future blog of where you'll be going?

11:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home