Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Great Article

Click here to read a great article that I just read about "The State of Youth Triathlon" by Mike Kanute. I was just catching up on the world of triathlon news and came across this at http://www.insidetri.com/
I am including this on my blog because I believe that Mike's opinions about Youth Triathlon in the United States are perfectly in-tune with my own thoughts. It is just coincidence that my name was mentioned in the text (I would have be shocked if I wasn't included, what with all the support and voice that I have given to the Youth triathlon movement).
If you don't have the time or interest to read his whole essay, let me summarize the key points:
*Youth triathlons are having a great success, combined with adult races or as summer events in the "try a tri" theme (by the way, that was the name of the clinic that my Mom and I organized in Daytona in 2001: "Try a Tri")
*No matter what the kid's skill level or how the race was organized, they will all be smiling at the end...Mike even mentions IronKids and the "Every Finisher is a Winner" as the perfect model for Youth races around the country
*Unfortunately, there is a very weak system in our country to encourage young triathletes to progress into the Olympic style racing...very few non-professional races allow drafting or provide the situations to practice skills that will be needed in on the World Cup circuit. The draw of collegiate scholarship sports like swimming and cross country leave a gaping hole in the upcoming stars of triathlon.
*The article goes on to commend USAT for creating and developing a Junior and Youth series of races around the country that provide what has been lacking for these athletes. I have actually seen this series in action because the races have been tied into some of the big Professional races (like the Hy-Vee World Cup in Des Moines) and I make sure that I am out cheering and talking with the kids to show my support (and scouting the field for future competitors:)
Well, the point of all this was that I agree 100% with Mr. Kanute and his closing points. We need to continue to find new ways to develop and improve our current methods of support for the Youth movement. We also need to keep encouraging all the kids who are riding their bikes in swimsuits and running shoes with visions of Olympic Glory in their heads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home