Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Real World Update

I took a break from the home improvement project on Saturday and took a Red Cross Certified CPR & First Aid course in Daytona. The original reason to get re-certified was for my USAT Coaching credentials but once I started thinking about it, I realized that it is a good idea to be prepared for quite a few of the jobs I am attempting.

Master's Swim Coach in Clermont…wouldn't hurt to be prepared on the pool deck. Substitute teacher…not a bad idea when working with kids of all ages. Triathlon Clinic/Camp organizer…anything can happen during training and now I feel a bit more capable to handle any situation. I have even used what I learned in these Red Cross classes during my job as Professional Athlete!

The class is really helpful. It's fast and easy but if you care enough to pay attention, some of the things might just stick in your mind. I never thought I would be able to employ any of the skills or methods they recommend…mainly because I feel like I would usually freak-out, let someone else take care of the situation, or (and most likely) be the person needing treatment. But, that one time something happens and you might just surprise yourself like I did in Germany last year…those little details of info from a smelly old classroom in Daytona Beach actually came to my mind. And even though I was completely freaking out and wishing there was someone else to handle the situation, I managed to do the right things and help someone in need.

I also caught up on the Olympics, starting with the Opening ceremonies that we recorded on Friday night. It's so much easier to watch a four hour show with the fast-forward button. The Chinese put on a beautiful show and I enjoyed all the different performances…but I must admit that I watched the beginning of every performance, got the gist of what was going on and what it was representing, then hit the FF button until the next group came on stage (or until the commercial was over).

Same thing with the parade of athletes. All I wanted to see was the USA (and maybe a few other counties with friends I know from swimming and triathlon) so the <FF> button came in handy for the 200+ other countries. Of course, I did catch a few of the parade outfits and was very impressed that most of the delegations had long sleeves and pants as part of their costume…did no one check the weather report and realize that it's 90+ degrees with 95% humidity in Beijing in September!?!?

I am heading to another day of working at my Clermont house but I can't wait to get home and watch all the sporting events that are being recorded. I never <FF> during those shows!


 

***I just finished reading this great email from Julie Swail-Ertel about her experience on Friday night at the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony and I had to share it with you!***

"The U.S. delegation was all wearing matching white berets, navy blazers over white shirts, cream pants and cream colored shoes so locating friends and teammates was very challenging! I lost the triathlon team but met up with the water polo players and rode over to the fencing hall with the water polo team. In the fencing hall, we congregated in groups according to sport (and I reconnected with the triathletes) and after an hour of mingling, we were addressed by President Bush. He then took the time to come greet and take pictures with each team.

After our picture, we moved along to the gymnastics arena where all of the teams were staged. We picked up a "boxed lunch" that consisted of a roll, banana, boxed milk and a snicker bar and took a much deserved seat! Luckily, I brought 2 Powerbars that saved me over the next 4 hours. We also consumed mass quantities of water, knowing the heat that we'd face outside.

The U.S. was called 140th (out of 200+ countries) and we began staging for the 1.5 mile march into the Stadium. We were planning on staying together as a triathlon team but we got separated coming down the stairs. Laura and I went one way and as we were crossing the front row of U.S. athletes, an announcement was made to make 10 lines (files). It was like we were playing musical chairs and when we heard the announcement Laura and I stopped in our tracks. We were in the front of the U.S. delegation. We turned around and suggested to the organizer that we start rows/files 1 and 2 with us. He agreed and we found ourselves with a spot in the front row, just behind the flag bearer! I was the leader of the row 3rd from the right and Laura was the 2nd from the right. The Chef de Mission of the U.S. delegation joined us to the right of Laura.

(For those who don't know, I got to march in the front row of the Sydney Games, also sort of by dumb luck. I was just pinching myself at my incredible fortune, again!)

From watching the coverage on TV, I don't think that the heat and the amount of sweat that was pouring on the field was well depicted. We took off our blazers and discovered that our white shirts were completely wet and stuck to our bodies. But we weren't alone. I didn't see a single person on the field whose clothes weren't saturated with sweat. But nonetheless, it was a fabulous time.

After Opening Ceremonies, rather than wait for the buses to drive us back to the Village, Sheila Taormina (swimming '96, triathlon '00 and '04 and modern pentathlon '08), Laura and I decided to walk back figuring we could probably beat the buses and wouldn't have to deal with a crowd at the Village security checkpoint. Because of the run that Laura and I had earlier in the day, we knew how to navigate the Olympic Green and take the most direct route back to the Village. We hit the dining hall at 1:30 a.m. before returning to our room to pack. We had a tough 5 a.m. wake up call to catch our plane to Jeju on the 9th. As we left the Village it was in the low 80s (even overnight) and the air conditioned bus never felt so good!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home