Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Another Lap Around the Sun

Well, I've made it another year, another 365 days (actually this was a leap year so 366 days) as a human on planet Earth. It's been an incredible year of life changes. Just trying to look back at everything I've done in the past 12 months and I get a head cramp!
At this time last year I was still considering myself to be a resident of the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs! Although I was in Florida for the winter months, to escape the cold and to support my Mom as she prepared for knee surgery, I was planning on heading back to the Springs to continue my Olympic journey.
At this time last year I still thought I could salvage a decent 2008 competitive season. My foot had been in pain since August of 2007 but I kept my motivation high and continued to train as much as possible (lots of water running that I would like to forget about). I was working with multiple doctors and sport med people to find a solution that would allow me to perform in a respectable manner at the Olympic Trials.
At this time last year I was actually AT the Olympic Trials course in Alabama. I was watching my brother swim at SEC's (he qualified for his first NCAA championship meet with an amazing 400 IM on the second day of competition), training on the OT course in Tuscaloosa, and being a guest speaker at the Collegiate and Youth Triathlon camps. One of my strongest memories from that weekend was how COLD and WET it was...obviously not the time of year to vacation to UA!
At this time last year I was dreaming about going back to COS and shopping for a house outside of the OTC. Somewhere close, but somewhere to call my own. I really like the town and the area around COS for training. When there isn't white stuff falling out of the sky, it's a great place for cycling and running. The mile-high elevation is a hard thing to get over...but if you are a tough and strong athlete, it can be used as an advantage! I love the facilities at the OTC (doesn't hurt that I would have free access) and the training partners that are always around and willing to train hard.
And one year later...look at where I am! If you had told me on February 25th, 2008 what was going to happen in my life during the next 366 days, I would NOT have believed you!
I never went back to COS...a one week trip to pack up and move out of my room doesn't really count.
Although I did manage to compete at the Olympic Trials races in Alabama and Des Moines, they were far from spectacular, and I ended my season after 4 races because my foot pain was not getting any better.
I bought a house in Clermont, Florida! And then had a great time for the next two months re-doing and fixing up the inside.
I started training at the NTC in Clermont and picked up a few coaching-related jobs.
I met Dr. Funk who finally gave me a decent explanation for my foot pain...and 7 days later I went under the knife and he fixed everything that had been plaguing me for over a year!
I started writing for a couple more magazines...Triathlete, Competitor and USMS, as well as continuing to submit articles for USAT Life.
Basically, I've had a roller-coaster year. Lots of UPs and a few DOWNs along the way but the ride dropped me in a great place. I'm happy, healthy, fit, smiling, working hard, and getting ready to do what I do best...line up on the starting line and give it 110%!!! See you all at the races!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home