Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Friday, March 13, 2009

1 Month Ago

I just found this article about me in the Orlando Sentinel. It was posted about a month ago (before the Florida's Great Escape triathlon) but I just came across it this morning. Enjoy:)

Professional Triathlete Sara McLarty Stays on the Go
posted by Steve Ruiz on Feb 10, 2009 4:06:28 PM
Even in the midst of a cold, Sara McLarty can be inspiring.
She was a state-championship swimmer at DeLand High School, a 15-time All-American at the University of Florida and is in her fifth year as a professional triathlete.
Sara, who will turn 26 on Feb. 25, has a long-term goal of reaching the Olympics. In the meantime, beating her brother, Dustin, in a match race in April at the St. Anthony's Triathlon in St. Petersburg will have to do.
"I think it will be pretty close,'' said Sara, who is set to defend her title at the Florida's Great Escape triathlon Sunday at Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont. "I might have a slight advantage, though, because I am a professional triathlete who does this all the time and he has to study.''
Dustin is studying engineering at graduate school at the University of California-Irvine.
They come from a family of triathletes that includes parents Brent and Karen. When Mom and Dad trained, Sara and Dustin often would tag along. The family would plan trips around triathlons that turned into hiking/camping adventures.
Still, there was competition, albeit friendly.
"I can remember the first time I beat my mom in a race,'' Sara said. "I was 13. When I was 15, that was the first time my brother beat me.''
Now that triathlon is a full-time job for Sara -- she also serves as a triathlon coach, master's swimming coach and camp organizer at the National Training Center in Clermont -- much of her week is devoted to training. She said she trains 30 hours per week (13 on the bike, 10 in the pool, seven running) and also does 2-3 hours of weight training per week. Two hours of massage weekly helps work out the kinks.
"The road has been well-traveled,'' said Sara, who has competed in more than 150 triathlons. "Not to say it doesn't get monotonous, but every day is different. Today, I feel terrible, but Sunday, I felt like a rock star.''
Sara has this advance for fitness enthusiasts considering their first triathlon: "Go with one goal: Have fun and don't worry about anything else. Finish with a smile on your face. If you have fun, then you will be more likely to come back for a second triathlon.''
For more information on Sara, please go to her Web site (saramclarty.com).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home