Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Good Sportsmanship

Today was a simple training day...just one workout in the morning. At 8am I was in Sports Science, hooked up to the oxygen, and hauling butt on the treadmill for 7 x 1K at race pace!!
My last two running workouts have been outside in the thin air on Tuesday and Wednesday. I noticed during both workouts how much my chest was hurting and how easy my legs felt.
BIG difference today! With the oxygen it's completely opposite...my lungs and heart are just hanging out while my legs are screaming! So I guess that's what it is going to feel like next weekend in Honolulu at 1 foot above sea-level:)
After the run workout I had to hurry through a shower and breakfast before heading over to Cheyenne Mountain Elementary School where I gave a fun 30 minute presentation on Sportsmanship. The kids were so darn cute, good listeners and they paid attention the whole time. They loved the stickers we gave them afterwards. There were a couple of USAT staff members there and I got some photos from Jason:

All 250 kids at the school attended the Sportsmanship presentation in the gym.

I was up on stage talking about ways to display good sportsmanship...not sure if I actually need the microphone, but I tried not to deafen everyone:)

After the presentation, I got back to the OTC for a little 'down time'. I've had some discussions with the other triathletes here and we have come to the unofficial conclusion that after an O2 (oxygen) workout, the tiredness hits you a bit later than after a normal workout...it's like once all the extra oxygen has left your blood stream, you body suddenly realizes how hard it worked!

But, I had to wake up from my nap in time to walk over to the "recovery center" for a 1 hour massage...let me remind you to NOT be jealous that I get 1 hour massages. These are not nice relaxing 'hot stone' massages or something...they are painful deep tissue work and sometimes involve involuntary screams of pain when the masseur finds the tender spots:)! And they also involve consuming large quantities of water afterwards to flush your body of all the junk that got flushed out of the muscles! So, basically, I'll be peeing every 5 minutes for the rest of the day:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home