Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Monday, July 02, 2007

New Discovery: I'm Quite Lazy!

I haven't done much during the past week other than show up to my scheduled training sessions, eat in the cafeteria, and sleep some crazy hours (sometimes at night and also lots during the middle of the day)!
Since I am willing to forgive myself, I hope that you can as well. I've got plenty of reasons why I was lazy and why I had a right to be lazy. They all start way back at the beginning of June when I started on this month-long-travel-race-train-repeat-repeat cycle that I just finished. I was on super-mode for the whole process of traveling and racing every weekend for three weeks.
Life was easy. When I got home, I threw everything into the washing machine, dried it, and then repacked it. There were always three days in the middle of the week where I would build my bike, ride it a few times, and then repack it for the next trip. All my hotel and travel arrangements were meticulously scheduled and prepared. It was a routine...a very busy, complicated, worldly routine...but a repeating routine no matter what!
Last Monday, I arrived home (after my best race ever) and once I finished my routine things...there was nothing else to rush off for. My next race is still over 13 days away...I travel on the 10th...so I was actually hanging out in limbo! Unfortunately, it wasn't a limbo where all those procrastinated things are finally accomplished...it was more like a limbo where I just didn't even want to think about the things I needed to accomplish.
My email inbox usually sits with no more than 10 emails that are waiting for a reply. Even with all the travel and racing last month, I was on top of my communication with friends, family, etc. (Yes, there are many, many hours spent sitting in a hotel room doing nothing but relaxing where these little things get accomplished.) But, right now, after one whole week in this 'limbo' I think my inbox is pushing 75 emails that are waiting for replies. I know that this inbox-thing might sound weird to some people, but lately this has become a way for me to measure how productive I am (also, how often I post on my blog...notice the large space between this one and my previous).
I sat down at the computer more than once and tried to get started, but my efforts usually got me nowhere except out of my computer chair and over to my bed to take a nap:)! I will also explain that these naps lately have also been pretty productive. After my last race in Edmonton, I only had about 20 days until the Pan American Games race on July 15th so there was no time to take a break. I have just completed a very hard week of training (even though I was in 'limbo' mentally) and I'm looking at my training schedule for next week with a grimace!
Not really a 'grimace'. I always look forward to a training challenge and this next week is going to be something that tests my ability to stay focused. I don't have a lot of hours scheduled on my training plan, but every single workout is asking for high intensity at some point. We started this morning with a 5000 meter swimming workout. I haven't made it that far in a long time. The main set was 3000 meters (400, 300, 200, 100 on 1:20 pace, 3x) and I swam with Hunter Kemper who was pushing the pace from start to finish! Tomorrow the intensity continues with a morning treadmill workout with supplemented oxygen (like sea-level air), a mid-day bike session with race intervals, and ending with an afternoon jog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home