Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Training Hard!

I rocked a track workout this morning! It was quite an undertaking...I actually started questioning whether my coach was sane when he put it on my training log!
6 x 1600m, 6:00pace, on 7:30, on the track! Yep, that's six miles at race pace (my race pace...not some other people's race pace...but MY race pace)! On a Saturday morning, in DeLand, at the High School track, with my Mom watching/cheering and recording splits.
I still don't have a definite answer about the Des Moines race this weekend. The only thing that is "for sure" is that I feel terrible about asking the people of the area to put on such a big race when they are dealing with such a disaster. I see photos of kids and families putting down sandbags to protect homes, schools and hospitals...and next weekend we expect them to put out banners and barricades for our silly little race...kinda puts the importance of what I do at a VERY low level!
Although I would like the triathlon/duathlon decision to be made before my flight on Thursday (to save me $$ and time)...I'm sure that they will wait until the pro-meeting on Friday afternoon to make the official announcement. In that case, I will make the trip to Iowa with my fingers crossed and two training plans in my pocket. One for a typical pre-race taper...and another for a typical hard weekend of training. On race morning, I will join all the other spectators (and a few other ITU athletes that don't want to risk the injuries that are associated with the demands of a duathlon) on the sidelines and watch the biggest prize-purse in the history of triathlon go to some runners! I'm not bitter!
In the meantime, I'm heading over to Windermere tomorrow morning to do the group ride (and continue to Train Hard)...afterwards, I will meet my Mom and Brother at my future house in Clermont to take measurements of everything and plan out the furniture arrangements. Very exciting...I hope to draw up a pretty and detailed floor plan that I can scan into the computer and post (later).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home