Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Floods and Droughts

Iowa is flooding. Gray's Lake where the Hy-Vee World Cup triathlon took place last year, has spilled over it's banks and is covering all the roads. The contingency race plan that has been announced said we are going to start at a new location (West Des Moines). I sure hope that this race doesn't turn into a duathlon.
Ol'McLarty's Farm is in a drought. We haven't had water fall from the sky in a few months. Our pond is resembling a puddle more and more every day. The hilarious part is that I have been driving home from swim practice in a torrential down-pour and one mile before I get to Marsh Road, the skies are clear and the roads are dry. I've had the same thing happen in the other direction...driving home from Clermont, torrential down-pour, Marsh Road is dry.
I just completed a very hard and long day of training. Swim practice this morning from 6:30-8:30 in Port Orange. I had looked at the workouts I had for the rest of the day, and as I was swimming 8x400s broken, I knew that it was going to be a mental and physical battle to finish the day strong.
At 12:30 I was flooding my bike doing some 10 minute efforts down Highway-11. The heat was ridiculous. I had two water bottles on my bike and by the time I got to the turn-around at the Cody's Corner Country Store, I had to stop and buy a big ice-cold Powerade to make it home. Do the math...that's two empty water bottles one hour into a ride!
I rolled home at 2:30 and my body was in a drought. I couldn't drink enough liquids in the house...my lunch was mostly in sip-able form. My final workout, a hard run session, was supposed to be completed off the bike...in brick format. For the sake of my health, I decided to postpone the run until I had an opportunity to rehydrate and the weather had a chance to cool off.
The flood-drought cycle happened again this afternoon when I finally made my way to the track for the 1K efforts. I was soaked on the outside from sweat and cold water (sprayed all over my head from my cold water bottle in an attempt to stay cool) but completely parched on the inside. Two (okay, if you include swimming in a hot pool: three) HOT training sessions in one day are probably not the best idea for an athlete. But, I am getting acclimated for races that are going to put me in the exact same situation (Des Moines, Lifetime) and I am going to be ready. I just hope that all these hours and gallons of sweat are not wasted on a duathlon next weekend (which, by the way, I will not be on the starting line if that is the case, sorry to disappoint).
I will keep checking my inbox, the news, the ITU website and all my triathlon contacts for updates regarding the race situation next weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home