Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ridiculous Requests

Here is some information that I just got in an email from one of my National Governing Bodies. I feel that the demands they are making are utterly ridiculous...I've highlighted my favorite part. I would like to know if anyone else feels this way? Or am I over reacting...having to state your whereabouts, 3-months in advance, for every 60-minute window of every day is...normal???

Beginning in January 2009 athletes who do not file their Quarterly Whereabouts Filing by the established deadline will be issued a “filing failure”. A filing failure falls under the category of a “whereabouts failure”. Providing whereabouts information that is incomplete or does not provide detailed location information is also a “filing failure”.
Beginning in January 2009 athletes will be required to provide a 60 minute window, each day, specifying where they will be available for testing. This is in addition to the information currently provided. If the athlete is not available for testing during those 60 minutes a “missed test” will be issued. A “missed test” falls under the category of a “whereabouts failure”.

If an athlete is issued three “whereabouts failures” in 18 months, by any organization with Anti Doping jurisdiction, the athlete is considered to have committed a doping violation and is subject to sanctions. Sanctions for a whereabouts failure are a one to two year suspension meaning the athlete will not be eligible to compete in the next 2 Olympic Games (one Winter, one Summer).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sara,
Nope you are absolutely not crazy or over-reacting to your governing bodies new 'rule'. It is absolutely ridiculous. How can anyone know 3 months in advance where they're going to be every hour every day. I agree-thats insane!! Plans change every day, things come up every day, people get sick and have to stay home, family members sometitmes need us, etc. Life is unpredictable.I'm not a professional athlete or anything but this is across-the-line dumb and I highly doubt its going to work. What I think should happen is the people making the rule, should try this new 'rule' out on themselves first and then decide if its worth the hassle they are imposing on you pro athletes. I really think that if they bound themselves for at least 3 months to having to give such a detailed account for where they're going to have to be 3 months ahead, they will awaken to the fact that its impossible, stupid, and just way too much trouble.
I apologize to you for this massive inconvienance, I do feel for you and all the other athletes who work so hard as it is in just training. I'm hoping this 'rule' will be massively boycotted and overturned, no one is going to like this procedure they're asking for. So keep the faith and hopefully it will be obliterated!!!
BTW: I'm glad you're foot got taken cared of and I hope its healing fast. They (your fellow triathletes) need you out there!
~Melissa Sylvia :)
Gainesville, FL (Go Gators!!)
Meli_jsyl@yahoo.com

9:08 PM

 
Blogger Charissa said...

Isn't this similar to the rule where Ryan Lochte had two missed calls? He had totally justified excuses, but the Orlando Sentinel made it sound like he almost wasn't able to compete in the Olympics.

You're right about it being ridiculous.

I'm trying to find it, and I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a great biking commercial. The rider is out in the middle of nowhere and his coach comes driving up to him. He hands over the cell phone to the rider and makes some noise to make it sound like are somewhere else. It's the doping agency on the other line and they weren't supposed to be where they were. At least I think that's how it goes, it's been a while.

-Chad
http://chadpiltri.blogspot.com

1:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara,

I'll take a different track from the other people. Yes it is a pain in the ass. So who is to blame. Lets start with the athletes not just in your sport but all sports. Athelete A starts using drugs and for any number of reasons, pick one, other athletes start using. Although never in the majority the percentage of cheaters is high. Bicycling and baseball are good, actually "bad", examples. Because the athletes who did not use drugs did nothing to stop the bad ones the problem got worse. You can add the coach or coaches and quite possibly the sponsor to the list of people who ignored the problem and you, Sara, end up paying the piper. For the time being and until drug issues are marginalized by the athletes this is the price you pay to compete on the world stage. When I see an athlete do something special I unfortunately ask myself if they did it because of drugs. I have a lot more opinions on this issue but I am a lousy typist. When I went to high school in 1967 guys did not go to typing class. I wish I had.
Steve Fitzgerald

3:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home