Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Quick DeLand Visit

I've just returned to Clermont...just in time to watch the Gator/Vandy game. I drove over to DeLand on Friday morning and got a lot accomplished in a short period of time. First, I coached Master's Swim at the NTC and chatted with some friends then I loaded up the car with a few important items (toothbrush, change of clothes, bike, etc).
My first stop, before I even got home, was for a little hair cut. Nothing drastic, just a 1/2 inch trim...I actually think I might be the only one who can tell:). I was home for just enough time to say 'hello' to my Mom, Dad, and Sally (more on why she was in town later).
By 11:30am, I was over in Daytona for a lunch meeting with the organizers of the "Volusia County National Girls and Women in Sports Day Celebration." In February, I have been invited to be the Keynote speaker to 500 high school girls...I am honored and excited. This is the third-annual event to celebrate high school female athletes and I'm very jealous it was not being celebrated when I was in school. Fortunately, I am being given an opportunity to encourage the current generation! The women in charge of the event showed me some posters they created, took me to lunch, and gave me a tour of Mainland High School where I will be presenting in Feb.
After that, I headed back to the Farm for a training session with my Grandmother. She is participating in my Mom's "Get Grandma Fit" exercise plan and Friday's are 'fun days'. Apparently, this Friday the 'fun' part was to hang out with me for a walk around the Sperling Sports Complex. Going for a walk there was a bonus because I noticed that they were all set up for a Cross Country meet...after asking some questions, I was informed the District CC meet was the next morning at 8am.
I made a mental note to come back out and watch the races...but before I left, I made sure I did my own running workout around the CC course. With a HUGE smile on my face, I completed 2.5 laps with a combo of walking and jogging. The soft surfaces (dirt, grass, clay) were very comfortable on my foot and body. I followed that with a late-afternoon bike ride with my Dad. We headed out to the Flagler County line as the sun was slowly sinking in the west.
Saturday morning started with me cruising out to Sperling and watching the start of the women's race at 8am. I spotted Jim Loeinstine, my former DeLand HS CC coach...still coaching...and I volunteered to work at the finish line for both races. It was great to see the kids still running fast and strong...brought back great memories (especially seeing a young lady trip within the first 100 meters and having the race restarted). Before I could sneak out and get home, Coach Lo asked me to stick around and pass out the awards...how could I refuse:)
Back at home I took care of a few chores...faxed some medical paperwork, sanded some of my shutters, cleaned up my room, checked email, etc. By 3pm it was time to pack up the car and head out to the airport for Sally's surprise Birthday party. She thought she was just in town to see friends, make some jumps, and hang out...but her husband had planned a whole secret b-day party including himself as the surprise guest! So I just spent the afternoon out at the Drop Zone (hadn't been out there in a long time) catching up with friends, watching the Birthday jump, eating the Mexican buffet, and having some B-day cake before I started driving home.
I wanted to make it home before the Gators started the football game versus Vanderbuilt. I've been watching the game while writing this post and I sure feel bad for the Vandy crowd...it's six minutes until half-time and the score is 28-0!!! Go Gators!

1 Comments:

Blogger SAQ® International said...

Your written syle is absorbing and very enjoyable. Thank you.

I am spreading the word of Milokit - two-strap suspension bodyweight training. Two anchors, unlike TRX, means more natural training environment. First sponsorship has gone to The Athertons, current downhill mountainbike world champs (http://www.animalcommencal.com/). Check it out:

http://www.milokit.com/milokit-7-p.asp

WHY TWO STRAPS?

Efficient body mechanics. Two straps allow the body to move within its natural range of motion (R.O.M.).

Safety. Staggered pulls without risk of straps slipping. Single arm and single leg exercises with confidence. Bicycle hamstring drags without risk of supporting leg dropping to floor.

More stable. Advanced exercises put great stress on ankles, knees, shoulders and core stability. Perform with confidence without risk of equipment slipping. Two straps and two anchors mean bodyweight stress is shared.

Greater comfort. With straps anchored at a shoulder width or more apart the MILOKIT® will not cut into the arms in pressing and dips exercises.

Greater versatility. High quality carabiners give added ability to connect to a wide range of accessories.

Visit the site and drop us a line why doncha...

7:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home