Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

I Quit!

That is correct! I am quitting! Officially...on the record...no doubts. I actually quit a few days ago!
What did I quit? Well, to be honest, I quit quitting! For two weeks after the Cancun World Cup (where I was very disillusioned with my ability to recover from my foot injury) I gave up all aspects of my job as a professional athlete. I didn't train, I didn't talk to my coaches, I didn't watch my nutrition, I goofed off, I slept in late, I watched TV...I QUIT!
It sure took a long time, 14 days to be exact, but my motivation finally re-booted and I've gone so far as to break a sweat for the past three days!
At the end of the drive from COS to Florida, my dad and I stopped in Gainesville to watch my brother and the Gator swimming and diving team compete against FSU. I spent the night in Gainesville at Dustin's house to help him drive home and managed to work up the courage and motivation to swim 5000 meters on Wednesday morning. I went to the pool after all the Gators were done and paddled my way through a painful set of 5 x 1000s. I came to the realization that taking two weeks off isn't going to make the re-entry into exercise very easy as my arms were screaming at me after just two of the 1000s!
Back at home on Thursday (Thanksgiving) I helped with the 10 mile Turkey Trot (where, again, I was reminded what I was missing by not being able to run) but then found some motivation to get back on my bike and cruise around DeLand for 30 miles. Yep, 20 miles into the ride I thought I was going to have to get off and take a break...my legs were screaming at me this time...but I made it around the loop and home in time for the big turkey dinner.
Friday and Saturday I continued with my slow re-entry plan of training. It helped to have my brother home for the weekend because he and I went over to the pool together for morning swim practice. After 5000 yards with the team, I clipped on my foam belt and got back into the aqua-jogging mode (at least here in Florida I can actually run in the SUN).
Sunday is always a day of rest and relaxation so I am taking advantage and getting some work done. I'm helping my Mom with her traditional gift to the children living at the Methodist Children's Home. This year we are creating a personalized mug for each child and it will be filled with some packets of hot cocoa and marshmallows. Like always, I will take care of baking the 800+ cookies to fill the tins that also go to each child!

1 Comments:

Blogger BreeWee said...

Good blog! Nice to read that even some of the best have some blah moments-even blah weeks!
Thanks for the encouraging-honest post.
Good luck with getting re-motivated" and not quitting anymore.

2:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home