Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Friday, February 01, 2008

The "All Clear" Signal

All morning (from 4:30am until 1pm), members of the USAT National Team slowly trickled out of Groveland and made their respective trips back home. Since my trip was the shortest and least complicated, I made sure that I stuck around until the last person had safely made it onto the airport shuttle...I was ready to make the drive if it was going to be necessary.
The last group was Tim, Jas, Mark, and Justine on a 12:45 shuttle to the Orlando Airport. It was so late in the day that we managed to squeeze quite a bit of adventure in before-hand.
We were up around 7am to say good-bye to some of our house-mates...Joe and Cliff rolled out in the OTC Suburban around 8am...Brian headed off for Jacksonville around the same time...Matt, Julie and Bec were on an awfully early shuttle so we just kinda slept through their departure:)
At 8:30, I was on the road with the remaining 4, heading to the pool for a relaxing morning workout. Tim and I swam the whole time, Jas and Justine did a bit of strength, and Mark chatted with Hunter (who was over from Longwood to use the pool).
After swimming, we capped off a cloudy morning with a yummy trip to Panera for a post-swim breakfast. I had to have another one of the Mediterranean Veggie sandwiches (so so so good:) before I left town for good. The chatter was happy and sad at the same time...I was saying good-bye to my friends again...they were looking forward to being home...and we were all debating the merits of leaving Florida on a day when the temperatures hit 80 degrees and going back North where there is a HUGE snowstorm!
We finally left Panera and pulled into the Swiss Ski School, one last time. I did just what I promised and picked up all the use-able foodstuffs from the houses...this managed to fill up the ENTIRE back of my Xterra! Thanks guys...my family and I have no complaints about free food for the next two weeks! The rest of my clothes, training gear, and junk filled the second row of seats and I had to cram my bed pads/pillows/blankets into the crevices so that I could see out my back window!
A little after 12:45...making Mark very nervous because his flight was the earliest...the airport shuttle (which was a MINI-van) arrived to pick up 4 people, 4 bike boxes, and 4 sets of luggage. The luggage shuffle took a few minutes and a few different tries, but eventually, everyone and everything was packed inside and the doors managed to close. I was standing near-by, watching the entire process and getting ready to offer the use of my car if things did not work out for the best.
As soon as the doors were closed and the van was backing down the driveway, I hopped in my own vehicle and pulled away from Villa 27 for the last time. In a fitting farewell, as soon as my car cleared the garage, the skies let loose with the rain they had been threatening us with all morning! It was a perfect timed event and I can't help but wonder who gave the "all clear" signal for Groveland!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home