Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

DUSTIN MADE FINALS!!!

Dustin just swam the prelims of the 400IM. This is probably his 'Best Event'. He will also be competing in the 200IM and 200Fly, but the 400IM is a McLarty staple. Unfortunately, four years ago, when I was competing in Long Beach for the 2004 Athens Olympics, I had a totally, completely, horribly bad swim and didn't even get a chance to swim it in Finals.
So, today, heat 5, lane 3...Dustin was lined up against another Floridian (and husband of my best friend), Robert Margalis. I was able to get live updates on the phone from my Dad & Mom who are in the stands of the Omaha Quest Center. I was also watching the 'LIVE' streaming audio and video on NBColympics.com, which is only about one minute behind 'real-time'.
Dustin wore the new Blue Seventy suit with full legs and torso coverage. He's been training in it for a few weeks and really liked how well it made him feel in the long and painful event that is the 400IM.
Anyways, back to the event...he kinda bombed it. Yep. It was not a best time and I bet he was a bit upset. BUT, he finished third in his heat behind Margalis and his own Gator teammate, Clark Burkle. His 4:21.05 was also faster than any other times posted in the first four heats. In short, this gave him a fighting chance for top-eight. He would have to rely on the next two (fastest) heats to put up only a few fast times. So then the next heat stepped up...including our local stud, Ryan Lochte.
Ryan easily cruised to win his heat and he was followed by two other guys who put up times faster than Dustin. So, now Dustin is sitting in sixth place and has to hope with all his might that only Michael Phelps and one other swimmer in the final heat post times faster than 4:21.05.
And that's what happened!!!! Since my 'LIVE' coverage was getting further and further behind 'real time'...I had to rely on a phone call from Dad and Mom, both screaming for joy that DUSTIN MADE FINALS OF THE 2008 OLYMPIC SWIMMING TEAM TRIALS IN THE 400IM!!!
More importantly, Dustin will be on NBC tonight at 8:00pm ET. The 400IM will be the FIRST event of the evening so please make sure that you are in front of the TV at 8:00pm on-the-dot, with your TVs turned to your NBC station!! (If you want to get there at 7:45pm, just to be sure that you don't miss anything, that's fine too!)
GO DUSTIN!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah :) said...

Hey Sara! I saw Dustin swimming today in the prelims and finals! I live in Omaha and bought tickets to all of today's events. It was pretty awesome to see! I hung out with Ashley Carusone yesterday... hadn't her in 6 years! and i have no idea when the last time i saw Dustin was. Tell him congrats! Hope all is well with you!

11:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home