Upon my departure from college and as I approach entering the real world...a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. Although I will be living farther away...you will all be closer to my heart.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Swim...?Practice?

I was bound and determined to get into the pool last night and drag my sick, coughing, aching, and stuffy body through swim practice. I've always done it and I don't complain.
But, I'm just not that young anymore...I'm not in my early-20s, in college, and full of energy and life. Now, I'm in my mid-20s, I've got three or four jobs (I have seriously lost count), and I'm full of aching body parts and scars.
So, it just so happened that a few of the swim coaches were not on deck to coach half of the 8 groups that were in the pool. This was forcing Alec, the head coach, to run around trying to keep track of beginner swimmers as well as the National Group. During one of my couching fits on the wall, he mentioned what a hard time he was having.
I immediately perked up, asked if he wanted help, ran to the locker room to get dry and change, and then I was back out on the deck...but, this time, as a coach. I knew I wasn't accomplishing much in the water as an athlete...other than making lots of snot and probably getting other kids sick:). At least I was able to give back and help out the team that has welcomed me with open arms...and how do I repay them...with ALL OUT 50s!!
(Hey, that wasn't MY set. I was just doing what Alec told me to do!)
So, I'm out on the pool deck, glad that I'm not doing the sprint 50s, trying to stay warm (I was up to 2 sweatshirts and one parka) when I see the USA Anti-Doping Control Officers walking across the deck towards me! How hillarious! Here I am, not even training, and I get a Out-Of-Competition test...fortunately, I was still at the NTC, and not home in bed resting (no more missed tests for me this year!).
I wasn't about to make Alec short another coach, so I politely asked if the USADA people would mind waiting until I was finished on the deck. They had no problem with that...and it also gave me some time to chug a water bottle in perperation of peeing in a cup!
After the third set of 8x50 all out, most of the swim groups were out of the pool, Coach Alec had everything under control, and I was able to go take care of my USADA business. It was an appropriate ending to an interesting day...highlighted by my first NON-STOP 30 minute run at noon (but, those details are subject to another post).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home